Short Story Reading 2
A. Subject Name : English
B. Lesson Reference No. : 4
C. Lesson Title : Short Story Reading 2
" QUALITY "
by : John Galsworthy
D. Lesson Description : The lesson caters to the learner's discovery about his / her performance garnering quality output and his/her weaknesses or growth areas that he/she might improved inorder to eventually gain quality work and output in the future. Each learner is gauged based on attitudinal and behavioral characteristics manifested on their actual indulgence into a certain task ( especially the ones done in school ).
E. Learning Outcome : At the end of the lesson , each learner ;
1. arrives at a consensus regarding the concept of quality.
2. develops appreciation for reading and express emotional reaction to what is explicitly stated and implied in the text.
3. reacts to experiences of characters in relation to real life situation.
F. Review of Previous Learning/lesson :
1. Concept 1 : As a student , list down at least 15 good personal characteristics you have manifested in your work and performances in the past. Recall at least 10 of your personal undesirable practices.
2. Concept 2 : Compare your good personal characteristics with that found in your English
Texbook. ( English III, pp 309-311 ) and check in what areas you are alike with the standard and in what areas you have not practised quality work.
3. To further learn more about developing quality work, try to check this.
G. Learning Presentation :
1. To understand Galsworthy's concept on " quality " , you may read his biography by clicking this ( J.Galsworthy ), and relate his way of life with that of his short story.
2. To read his short story on " Quality " , please check your English III textbook pages 311 to 317.
H. Learning Activity :
Task 1 : Scan the story for specific details which show ;
*** the quality of work the Gessler brothers do.
*** the great importance the Gesslers put on quality
Task 2 :
a. ) describe the appearance of the Gessler brithers when the narrator first met them.
b. ) What cgaracter traits of the brothers impressed the narrator most ? Which details tell you these ?
c.) What evidences reveal to the customer that Mr. Gessler found it difficult to make both ends meet ?
d.) What was the reaction of the customer ? What does this show of him ?
e. ) Why was Mr. Gessler edged out by his competitots ? If you were in his place , what would you have done ?
f. ) Is the title appropriate to the story ? Why ?